Tuesday 4 August 2009

The Budding Author


Here's a little food for thought - well at least it was for me.

One afternoon, one of my second year infant students had written a story. Over the months he had been 'attempting' to put his thoughts down in writing. Much of what he wrote however was gibberish to me. I would often find myself having to ask him to read his stories to me since I could barely make sense of them without the aid of one of his drawings.

That afternoon however I was able to actually begin to make sense of his story. Granted it was full of spelling, grammar and punctuation errors but applying the word knowledge that he possessed, the fluency of his stories was finally coming together. As I read his short story to myself I smiled. Now we were finally getting somewhere!

I excitedly turned towards him and said encouragingly, "Sean, you're becoming a writer!"

He looked at me with the most matter-of-fact expression on his face and pointedly said, "I've always been a writer." And with that he sat down to move on to one of his other class activities.

Now take that Lorraine!

No comments:

Post a Comment