Thursday 12 November 2009

A Parent's View


Yesterday, while browsing through a bookstore I came across a book written by a parent of a boy who had taken the Secondary Entrance Examination. From what I could tell, based on his and his wife's personal experiences he decided to share advice to other parents of students who have to face this 'daunting' exam.

I certainly agree that the facts show that generally speaking it is the children whose parents are actively involved in their learning who tend to flourish academically. Therefore, whilst I applaud such interest in helping his fellow parents I do have a few concerns about the content presented in this book.

Granted, I just gave the book only a cursory glance but I came across a statement that disturbed me more than little. It was under the chapter "Lessons, Lessons, Lessons". The author told the reading parent that as parents that we should not expect teachers to find our children's weak areas but it is up to the parent to do so and then remedy it.

- What? Uh? Really?!!! -

Someone better inform our universities, UWI and UTT so that they can stop pressuring university students of education. Let them relax. It's the parent's responsibility anyway.

I wish that I had been told about this when I was in Teachers' College. Life would have been so much easier!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment