Sunday 27 September 2009

A Fy in the Pavilion


Yesterday I was like a fly on the wall... well, more like a fly in the pavilion.

I was sitting in a pavilion during my children's swimming class busily getting work done on my laptop. But I guess I wasn't as absorbed in my work as I thought I was since I overheard a small portion of a conversation between two waiting mothers.

"... she (nodding towards her daughter) has reached book three in her reading books. But I don't understand her teacher. She is keeping her back from reading!"

"Uh huh," the other mother responded knowingly.

"But every evening she reads three pages easily for me. I just don't understand."

"I know what you mean because..."

Their conversation trailed off and my focus had returned to my work, as I glanced up at regular intervals to observe my children in the pool with their classmates and swimming instructors.

But the discussion between the two mothers was not the least bit unusual. Why do we promote mediocrity in reading by 'keeping back' individual children's desire to progress?

**********************************************************************************

"Oh no dear, WE haven't reached that page yet. We'll get there eventually. Have patience."

No comments:

Post a Comment