Saturday 12 September 2009

Subconscious Behaviour


I visited a school about a year ago to show the teacher my Hop Along Reading Programme, however she was in the process of listening to one of her second year infant students read for her.

She directed me to a chair next to her desk and asked me if I could kindly wait until she was finished. I obliged but couldn't help but notice the reading activity that ensued. It went something like this...

TEACHER: Go ahead and read the page.
STUDENT: (Tentatively reading) The boy and the dog ...(silence)
TEACHER: went...
STUDENT: went up the...(silence)
TEACHER: tree...
STUDENT: tree and they....(silence)
TEACHER: saw...
STUDENT: saw a very big...(silence)
TEACHER: river...
STUDENT: river. Then they...(silence)
TEACHER: climbed...
STUDENT: climbed...(silence)
TEACHER: down...
STUDENT: down and got in a...(silence)
TEACHER: boat...
STUDENT: boat on the...(silence)
TEACHER: river...
STUDENT: river.
TEACHER: Good. Now learn the next page to read for me tomorrow.

Evidently the teacher behaved subconsciously. I wonder if she has ever thought about what she is actually doing?!

No comments:

Post a Comment